Hello! I’m Amanda
I am a professionally trained and certified advanced yoga instructor with over 1,000 hours of training in India by renowned yoga teachers and physiotherapists Simon Borg-Olivier and Bianca Machliss of the Yoga Synergy School. I offer group and private yoga classes in Nairobi, Kenya or, for those living outside of Kenya or traveling often, I offer online courses.
I have been teaching clients for 8 years to every skill level from people just starting on their yoga journey to advanced dedicated yogis. In addition, I have experience in teaching everyone from elite athletes (dancers, footballers, marathon runners, rugby players, etc.), to pregnant women, children, teenagers, adults, and seniors, as well as those with special conditions or injuries.
My own journey into yoga started out of a desire to heal a knee injury caused by imbalanced muscles from training for and completing a full marathon. Around the same time I was pursuing my Master’s degree in Peace and Conflict Resolution at American University where the world renowned professor Abdul Aziz Said taught me of the power of meditation and spirituality considering “you cannot create peace in the world until you first create peace within yourself.” This is where my paths of education and wellness collided. His teachings inspired me to turn to yoga to holistically heal my injury, but instead I found myself on a profound journey of exploring yoga as a way of life, a way to live more harmoniously with myself and the world around me.
My natural progression toward becoming a teacher started in Cape Town, South Africa where I did my first teacher training in 2011. I briefly taught in the US, where I was born and raised, then launched into full time teaching in Denmark until my partner and I moved back to Kenya where I’ve now been teaching for nearly 4 years. My passion for teaching stems from the profound positive impact yoga has had on my own life and my desire to share that impact with others. I continue to prioritize expanding my yoga knowledge and personal practice so that my teaching can evolve and adapt to the unique journey of every student I have.
I welcome and acknowledge all purposes for coming to yoga – be it wanting to exercise the body, heal an injury, improve strength and flexibility, reduce stress, enhance mental focus and clarity, promote general mental and physical wellbeing, or find deeper meaning in life. All motivations and levels are welcome!
Certified Teacher (200hr)
By Jim Harrington, ReUnion Yoga in Cape Town, South Africa
Certified Level 4 Yoga Synergy Teacher (200hr & 500hr)
By Simon Borg-Olivier and Bianca Machliss, Yoga Synergy School, Australia
Certified Yoga Alliance Advanced Teacher and Teacher Trainer E-RYT 500
By Yoga Alliance®, nonprofit association representing the yoga community
Certified lead trainer for 200hr, 300hr or 500hr teacher trainings
Certified Yoga for Sports Coach
By Jim Harrington, ReUnion Yoga in Cape Town, South Africa
Certified Reiki Healer
By Gina Armstrong, Balance on Buffalo, Wisconsin, USA
as applied to physical injuries
and physiology of yoga poses
Safe breathing techniques
and Thai Massage
Traditional and mindfulness approaches
“Yogic sleep” a relaxation technique as restorative as sleep
Yoga for sports training and coaching
What is Yoga Synergy?
Physiotherapists and renowned yoga teachers Simon Borg-Olivier and Bianca Machliss are the founders of Yoga Synergy. It is based on their deep, sound knowledge of anatomy and physiology, modern medical science, and traditional hatha yoga. Yoga Synergy is derived from the work of Professor T. Krishnamacharya, who taught three influential yoga masters: Sri B.K.S. Iyengar, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois (who developed Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga) and Sri T.K.V. Desikachar.
The foundation of my teaching is grounded in the concepts of yoga synergy. This style uses techniques accessible to the modern body and alignment cues that move energy through the body in a way that reduces stress and builds strength.
Unique to this style:
- Emphasis on spinal movements from the core that free up all the vertebrates of the spine to enliven the body and counter bad posture in our daily lives
- Fluid transitions that can have a dance like feel to them
- Movements and poses that embody the sthira/sukham (steadiness with ease) yoga philosophy so the practice can flow like a moving meditation. It gives a soft feeling while building strength in an intelligent way that does not add more stress to the body
- Strong emphasis on muscle co-activation (bandhas) which allow the student to gain access to all parts of the body to promote healing and a deeper mind/body connection
In addition to encompassing the concepts of yoga synergy, my classes are constantly evolving as my knowledge grows and expands across yoga disciplines. Classes intertwine all aspects of the yoga discipline including healing breathing practices, meditation, philosophy and mindfulness techniques that help ease the mind of daily life stresses.
Energy And strength
Spirituality and Relaxation
Mind And Serenity
I offer creative Vinyasa Flow classes based on Yoga Synergy principles. Each class is a unique sequence that changes and builds on previous classes.
- Classes build strength, flexibility, cardiovascular fitness, increase energy, and enhance the ability to cope with stress.
- Demonstrations will be given for all poses as well as concise verbal cues
- Modifications will be shown for all poses so the student can adapt the class to their needs for that day and accommodate to their skill level.
- Safe adjustments given for all body types and levels.
- Props are available to make poses more accessible for those with stiff muscles.
- Upon request, individual consultations are provided before class to give specific exercises based on any injuries or physical limitations (existing or new)
- Individual sessions are tailored based on skill level and injuries.
- In home service or at convenient location allowing you to save time in your schedule.